We are constantly making the best even better!
MacGPS Pro Version 10.4.6 released
- Compatible with macOS Sierra 10.12.4
- Updated NOAA chart list.
MacGPS Pro Version 10.4.5 released
- Improved margin removal for odd-shaped BSB charts.
MacGPS Pro Version 10.4.4 released
- Fixed a problem which prevented the Satellite Visibility window from printing.
MacGPS Pro Version 10.4.3 released
- Updated some of the internal chart and map lists used for search to correspond with the newest map releases.
MacGPS Pro Version 10.4.2 released
- Higher resolution index maps for the southern Canadian provinces.
MacGPS Pro Version 10.4.1 released
- Improved the detection of rotated UTM GeoPDF files.
- Several significant bug fixes. Be sure to update to this or a newer version.
MacGPS Pro Version 10.4 released
- Auto-Open and Find for the 2015 U. S. Forest Service FSTopo maps.
- Map Stitching for Mercator and Equidistant Cylindrical maps which have differing Standard Coordinates. (This includes the 2015 FSTopo maps.)
- Works with Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan.
MacGPS Pro Version 10.3 released
- Auto-Open and Find for NZ Mariner marine charts for New Zealand.
- Waypoint icons for Red Day-Mark and Green Day-Mark.
- Adjustable route line width on the map.
- Improved handling of duplicate waypoints.
MacGPS Pro Version 10.2 released
- Extra white space is trimmed from the margins of .KAP (BSB) chart files when they are opened. This makes operations such as scrolling and zooming faster.
- Fixed a bug which blurred the display of the bottom part of BSB charts with a height of more than 16383 pixels.
MacGPS Pro Version 10.1 released
- Compatible with OS X 10.9 Mavericks
- Faster map manipulation and more maps open simultaneously by automatically trimming excessive white borders from PICT map files.
- Manually geo-reference images larger than 16383 pixels in width or height.
- Reads and writes the "Link" tag in GPX files.
- Margin removal, map stitching, and simplified import for VicMap 30K A4 Standard Geospacial PDF maps of Victoria, Australia.
- Added an optional checkbox for maps with margins to the "Move Calibration Marker To…" window.
- Recognizes the ETRS 1989 datum specification (WGS 84 Equivalent) in ".PRJ" files.
- Adds new 57600 and 115200 baud rates for NMEA data sent over an RS-232C serial port.
MacGPS Pro Version 10.0 released
- Auto-Open & Find-by-Location for the new and updated US Forest Service Maps
- Auto-Open & Find-by-Location for New South Wales TopoView and Western Australia 50K & 25K topos.
- Imports PDF map files at 250 pixels per inch.
- Reads GeoPDF, PRJ & EWW files for georeferencing.
- Reads KMZ files from Google Earth.
- Labels Lat-Lon Grid Lines on printed maps.
- Save only selected Waypoints, Routes, and Tracks.
- Use "Open Index Map" to quickly find a desired map.
MacTopos USA Version 4 released
- Added US Forest Service topo maps for many new areas.
- All USFS maps recently updated. Many in 2012. None older than 2009.
- High resolution (500 dpi) USFS maps for superb viewing and print quality.
MacTopos Australia released
- 250K topo maps for the entire country.
- Maps from Geoscience Australia.
MacTopos Puerto Rico & US Virgin Islands released.
MacTopos Hawaii & Guam released.
MacGPS Pro navigation software, version 9.3 released.
- Auto-Open and Find-by-Location for Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands, and Guam USGS Topos.
- Auto-Open and Find-by-Location for New Zealand Offshore Islands LINZ Topos.
- Access to 50 additional waypoint icons.
MacTopos New Zealand released.
- 50K and 250K topo maps for the entire country, including the offshore islands.
- Maps from Land Information New Zealand.
MacGPS Pro navigation software, version 9.2 released.
- Generate Waypoints for your favorite Geotagged photos.
- Create a Go-To Waypoint and Navigate to it in Real-Time.
- View the UTM grid line labels in the Map Window.
MacGPS Pro navigation software, version 9.1 released.
- View Magnetic Compass Declination for anywhere on the earth.
- Printed maps have a Declination Diagram.
- Directly specify the scale for printed maps.
- Margins on printed maps are custom set to the minimum allowed by the printer used.
MacGPS Pro navigation software, version 9.0 released.
- Tracks: split and join as needed.
- Editing of Track Points.
- Choice of editing in either the Map or List Windows.
- Control over which auto-open map opens when more than one is available.
- Turn on or off visibility on a map for individual Waypoints, Routes, and Tracks.
- New and colored Waypoint icons for newer receiver compatibility.
- Stitch together ECW maps.
- UTM zone info in the Map Window title.
- Faster opening of maps and charts from CDROMs and DVDs.
- Error messages include correction guidance.
- Additional keyboard shortcuts.
- Help Menu instructions revised.
For Mac Sailors:
- Choice of color palette for displaying all NOAA and other BSB charts.
- NOAA charts: margin removal, stitch together, auto-open, find by latitude and longitude or chart name.
- BSB charts: margin removal and stitch together of Canada and other BSB international marine charts.
For Australia and New Zealand:
- Geoscience Australia 250K topo maps: remove map margin, stitch together, auto-open, find by latitude and longitude, map name, or click on provided guide map.
- Land Information New Zealand 50K and 250K topo maps: remove map margin, stitch together, auto-open, find by latitude and longitude, map name, or click on provided guide map.
- Chatham Islands: Transverse Mercator 2000 map projection and grid coverage.
MacGPS Pro navigation software, version 8.7 released.
- Support for the Garmin GPSMap 62 and GPSMap 78 receivers.
- Easier Route Creation and Editing.
- Print maps showing the Datum and Map Projection.
- Store the Auto-Open Maps folder/DEM files anywhere, such as an external drive.
- Open ECW files that use the French NTF Lambert II Étendue map projection.
- Use False Northing and False Easting with the Lambert Conformal Conic Maps.
- Show the UTM Zone in the map window title when using an UTM map.
- Open more maps with automatic georeferencing.
- Switch map projections while transferring waypoints, if they fall outside of the original map projection choice.
MacGPS Pro navigation software, version 8.6 released.
- Adds a "Startup Items" folder where you can place map files, waypoint files, tracklog files, route files, gpx files, etc. which will then open automatically when MacGPS Pro starts.
- When printing a map, the MacGPS Pro-generated grid lines are labeled in the margins for the UTM grid and for all of the National Grids.
- Adds to the list of available datums: GGRS87, LUREF, None GRS80, NZGD2000, and SWEREF 99.
- Adds to the list of available map projections: Greek Grid, Irish Grid (ITM), Italian Gauss-Boaga Grid Zone 1, Italian Gauss-Boaga Grid Zone 2, Luxembourg LUREF Grid, New Zealand TM 2000 Grid, Swedish SWEREF 99 Grid.
- Adds Depth and Distance columns to saved MacGPS Pro track log files. Adds a Depth column to the main-window display of track logs. Adds a "Show Track Depths" item to the View menu. Reads the depth field from NMEA data and track-log transfers for those Garmin GPS receivers that support depth sounding.
- Adds the ability to read CompeGPS ".imp" georeferencing files for UTM and Lat/Long maps.
- Imports the Land Information New Zealand Topo50 and Topo250 maps as New Zealand TM 2000 maps.
- Adds "Select None" to the Edit Menu.
- Changes the "New Route" function so that clicking on a waypoint instantly adds it to the route.
MacGPS Pro navigation software, version 8.5 released.
- Supports the Garmin Edge 605 and Edge 705 GPS receivers.
- Imports the new Land Information New Zealand Topo50 and Topo250 maps.
- Reads Garmin Training Center TCX History files.
MacGPS Pro navigation software, version 8.4 released.
- Supports the Garmin Oregon Global Positioning System receiver.
- Supports U.S. Forest Service 24K Topo Maps.
- Adds the Equidistant Conic map projection.
- Projects a new waypoint with a given distance and direction away from an existing point.
MacTopos USA version 3.0 released.
MacTopos USFS version 1.0 released.
MacElevation USA available as downloads.
MacGPS Pro navigation software, version 8.3 released.
- Increase the maximum number of track points to 250,000.
- Support for the Garmin Forerunner 205, Forerunner 305, Edge 205 and Edge 305 receivers.
- The Show Grid Lines function works with maps drawn using more National Grid map projections (Dutch, Irish, New Zealand, Swedish and Taiwan).
MacGPS Pro navigation software, version 8.2 released.
- Calculate the acreage of an area on the map.
- Plot a graph of speed vs distance for a track.
- Displays a scale on the bottom of each printed map page.
MacGPS Pro navigation software, version 8.1 released.
- Preview Map Window Printing.
- View Track Log Speed in main window.
- Zoom and Move easily with new keyboard shortcuts.
MacTopos Nunavut North 1.0, MacTopos Nunavut Central 1.0 and MacTopos Nunavut South 1.0 released.
MacGPS Pro navigation software, version 8.0 released.
- iTunes-like main window.
- Import ECW-formatted map files.
- Link photos, websites or any other files to GPS waypoints.
MacGPS Pro navigation software, version 7.6 released.
- Supports all the Garmin Colorado Series of Global Positioning System Receivers.
- Stitches together adjacent maps with differing datums.
- Shows the tracklog name in the Track Point Info Window when a specific point in that track is selected.
MacGPS Pro navigation software, version 7.5 released.
- Added keyboard shortcuts for pan and zoom functions.
- Support for both upper and lower case letters in waypoint names.
- Added a window allowing for editing of a selected track or route name and color.
- Improved reading of some KML (Google Earth) files.
MacGPS Pro navigation software, version 7.4 released.
- Added map stitching for Canadian Topo Maps.
- Added the ability to import OziExplorer MAP files, which contain a user-defined Transverse Mercator based grid for the calibration data.
MacTopos Canada DVDs, version 1.0 released for Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, New Brunswick, Newfoundland, Labrador, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, Ontario, Quebec, Saskatchewan and Yukon.
MacGPS Pro navigation software, version 7.3 released.
- Improved USB communication with Garmin Global Positioning System receivers.
- Enables multiple consecutive waypoint, route, and track transfers with more Garmin receiver firmware versions.
- Increased transfer speed of waypoints, routes and tracks from a Garmin receiver to the Mac.
MacGPS Pro navigation software, version 7.2 released.
- Added support for Alaska MacElevation Data.
- Improved map import of Backroad Mapbooks Canadian Topo Maps and others.
MacGPS Pro navigation software, version 7.1 released.
- Supports the Magellan eXplorist USB series of GPS Receivers in real-time, and for waypoint, route and track transfers.
- Real-time update of the elevation-versus-distance graph for the active track.
- Print elevation-versus-distance graphs.
- Automatic import of Backroad Mapbooks Canadian Topo Maps.
- Improved handling of track files from the Garmin Foretrex.
MacGPS Pro navigation, version 7.0 released.
- Print the Map Window now includes multiple maps and overlaid GPS data.
- Plot elevation-versus-distance for routes and tracklogs.
- Print elevation-versus-distance graphs.
- MacElevation digital-elevation data capability added to find and plot the altitude of any point on any USA map from GPS data.
- Print the Satellite Visibility Window.
- New USA locator maps make it easy to find and open the correct MacTopos map with double-click simplicity.
- Save maps with waypoint, route, and tracklog overlays as PDF files.
- Expanded and revised Help menu.
MacElevation USA DVDs 1.0 released.
MacGPS Pro navigation software, version 6.5.1 released.
- Updated to run on Mac OS X version 10.3.9 and earlier.
MacGPS Pro navigation software, version 6.5.0 released.
- Added support for the Garmin Forerunner 301.
- Added USB support for the GPSMap 60CSx and the GPSMap 76CSx.
- Improved map display and file import on Intel Macs.
- Improved import of GPX files.
- Improved import of some OziExplorer calibration files.
MacGPS Pro navigation software, version 6.4.0 released.
- Universal Binary for full native performance on Intel-based Macs.
- Added the European 1950 France datum.
- Added the European 1950 Spain & Portugal datum.
- Added the HD-72 datum.
- Added the Israeli datum.
- Added the North Sahara 1959 datum.
- Added the NTF France datum.
- Added the Pulkovo 1942 Russia datum.
- Improved map margin trimming for West Coast USGS DRGs with western extensions beyond the normal map range.
- Improved compatibility with LOC, GPX, and KML (Google Earth) files from other software programs.
- Increase in the allowed number of computer serial ports when using the Garmin USB selection.
- Improved handling of erroneous baud rate setting.
- Improved handling of Bluetooth signal loss.
MacGPS Pro navigation software, version 6.3.0 released.
- Added support for Google Earth's KML file format.
- Look up waypoints or create a route on Google Earth and GPS receiver transfer capabilities added.
- Show waypoints, routes, and tracklogs from GPS receiver to Google Earth capability added.
MacGPS Pro navigation software, version 6.2.0 released.
- Added support for the Garmin GPSMap 60CSx, GPSMap 76CSx, and the eTrex Vista Cx.
MacBSB NOAA Marine Charts DVD, version 1.0 released.
MacTopos USA at 100K DVD, version 1.0 released.
MacTopos USA at 250K DVD, version 1.0 released.
MacTopos Lake Powell CD, version 2.8 released.
MacGPS Pro navigation software, version 6.1.0 released.
- Stitch adjacent USGS digital-raster topographical maps together.
- Show USGS topographical maps with or without margins capability added.
- Show multiple raster maps together in the same window capability added.
- Find USGS topographical maps by the quad name capability added.
- Display grid lines for the British Grid capability added.
MacGPS Pro navigation software, version 6.0.0 released.
- Most Garmin receivers with a USB Port can now be used.
- PVT real-time with automatic switching between PVT and NMEA eliminates trips to the Garmin GPS receiver's interface menu when changing between real-time and data transfer operations.
- A new toolbar speeds operations and makes MacGPS Pro navigation software easy to use for newcomers.
- The auto-open map function has been extended to work with the USGS Alaska 1:63360 topographical maps.
- Hand tool and live-scrolling tool for simplified moving around a map or chart added.
- Errant individual tracklog point deletion capability added.
- Help tags to provide quick information when and where needed added.
MacTopos Alaska DVD, version 1.0 released.
MacTopos Nebraska DVD, version 1.0 released.
MacTopos Arkansas DVD, version 1.0 released.
MacTopos Iowa DVD, version 1.0 released.
MacTopos Michigan DVD, version 1.0 released.
MacTopos South Carolina DVD, version 1.0 released.
MacTopos Florida DVD, version 1.0 released.
MacTopos Ohio DVD, version 1.0 released.
MacTopos Wisconsin DVD, version 1.0 released.
MacTopos Illinois DVD, version 1.0 released.
MacTopos Indiana DVD, version 1.0 released.
MacTopos Alabama DVD, version 1.0 released.
MacTopos Mississippi DVD, version 1.0 released.
MacTopos Minnesota DVD, version 1.0 released.
MacTopos South Dakota DVD, version 1.0 released.
MacTopos Pennsylvania DVD, version 1.0 released.
MacTopos North Dakota DVD, version 1.0 released.
MacTopos Hawaii DVD, version 1.0 released.
MacTopos West Virginia DVD, version 1.0 released.
MacGPS Pro navigation software, versions 5.7.0 and 5.6.0 released.
- Support added for Maptech BSB 5 charts in OS X.
- NASA Blue Marble World topographical map added.
- Maptech World Marine chart added.
- Support added for the GeoTIFF GTModelTypeGeoKey tag with avalue of 2 (Geographic).
MacTopos Kansas DVD, version 1.0 released.
MacTopos Montana DVD, version 1.0 released.
MacTopos Oklahoma DVD, version 1.0 released.
MacTopos Louisiana DVD, version 1.0 released.
MacGPS Pro navigation software, version 5.5.0 released.
- Added support for new waypoint-transfer protocol which isused in the firmware for the Garmin 276C and 296 models.
- Added several new sections to the help menu, including importing maps and charts.
- Updated MapsOnUs.com route-import feature to accommodate their website changes.
- New waypoint menu item is now accessible while real-time data is displayed.
MacTopos Texas DVD, version 1.0 released.
MacTopos Missouri DVD, version 1.0 released.
MacTopos North Carolina DVD, version 1.0 released.
MacTopos Yosemite and Yellowstone National Parks CDs, version 2.8 released.
MacTopos Bryce-Zion, Everglades-Biscayne National Parks CDs, version 2.8 released.
MacTopos New York DVD, version 1.0 released.
MacTopos Idaho DVD, version 1.0 released.
MacGPS Pro navigation software, version 5.4.0 released.
- Automatic opening of USGS DRG topographical maps capability added.
- Automatically switching to the correct map while traveling added.
- Supports GeoTIFF information in feet as well as meters.
MacTopos Tennessee DVD, version 1.0 released.
MacTopos Glacier, Grand Teton, Arches-Canyonlands, and Acadia National Parks CDs, version 2.8 released.
MacTopos Mid-Atlantic DVD, version 1.0 released.
MacTopos Georgia DVD, version 1.0 released.
MacTopos Oregon DVD, version 1.0 released.
MacTopos Kentucky DVD, version 1.0 released.
MacTopos New England DVD, version 1.0 released.
MacTopos Washington DVD, version 1.0 released.
MacTopos Nevada DVD, version 1.0 released.
MacTopos Arizona DVD, version 1.0 released.
MacTopos New Mexico DVD, version 1.0 released.
MacTopos California DVD, version 1.0 released.
MacTopos Colorado DVD, version 1.0 released.
MacTopos Utah DVD, version 1.0 released.
MacTopos Wyoming DVD, version 1.0 released.
MacGPS Pro navigation software, version 5.3.0 released.
- Help menu with help-viewer topics added (OS X only).
- The Import Window for BSB and NOS/GEO files shows the chart name and scale as well as the file name (OS X only).
- Real-time data window shows the estimated time of arrival.
- The go-to waypoint selected on the GPS receiver automatically shows in the map window with a special icon.
- Text background boxes make waypoint names and comments on the map easier to read.
- Imports FAA flight sectionals.
- Simplified opening of the satellite position window.
- Increased the number of waypoints-per-route to 300.
- Movable dialog boxes capability added.
- Correction made to opens files with the GeoTIFF "projection origin latitude" tag.
- Reads tracklog timestamps from the Magellan receivers (whose tracklogs have no date stamps).
- Corrects the opening of some BSB version 2 files.
- Speed read-out problem on large real-time display fixed.
- GUI appearance improvements.
MacGPS Pro navigation software, versions 5.2.1, 5.2.0, and 5.1.0 released.
- Selection of individual tracklogs capability reinstated.
- Added the Dutch Grid (RD) position format.
- Added the Dutch Grid map projection.
- Added the Croatia Datum.
- Added the Taiwan Datum.
- Added a "units choices" dialog box separate from the "mapping choices" dialog box, providing easy change of the display Datum, position format, distance units, and elevation units while showing a real-time position on a moving map.
- Added improved window titles for ease of use.
- Rearranged the real-time window for easier readability.
- Improved the real-time position to accommodate larger maps without lag on slower computers.
- Added a prompt to save changes when closing a map window after combining waypoints, routes, and tracklogs from a MacGPSPro file and a GPX file.
- Nautical Charts in Maptech BSB, version 4 format supported.
- Stentec's DKW 1800-Series-Complete Digital Charts of the Dutch coastal waters exclusive support added.
MacGPS Pro navigation software, version 5.0.9 released.
- Drag-and-drop capability added in the Finder for all supported map and chart image formats.
- Double-click opening capability added in the Finder for marine charts.
- Batch import and conversion of multiple maps to MacGPS Pro's native PICT format.
- Support for additional International GeoTIFF tags.
- Route import from MapsOnUs.com updated for compatibility with their website.
MacGPS Pro navigation software, version 5.0.8 released.
- Automatic calibration of GeoTIFF maps.
- Smarter import of map calibration information.
- Known information no longer needs to be verified, yet any perimeters can be manually changed, if desired.
- Faster import of maps and charts with full georeferencing information.
- Improved on-screen user guidance for importing maps with missing georeferencing information.
- Correctly imports Transverse Mercator maps, which are not UTM maps.
- Capability for MacGPS Pro GPX files to be read by FlightTrack added.
MacGPS Pro navigation software, version 5.0.6 released.
- Added import/export capability of route and tracklog files in GPX format.
- Fixed a map-opening bug with the Swiss Grid Map Projection.
MacGPS Pro navigation software, versions 5.0.5, 5.0.4, and 5.0.3 released.
- Added support for Garmin's tracklog transfer format, allowing Garmin Forerunner 201 Runner's History transfer capability.
- Added the Polyconic Map Projection.
- Higher speed playback of NMEA files.
- Added waypoint export in GPX format.
MacGPS Pro navigation software, version 5.0.1 released.
MacGPS Pro navigation software, version 5.0.0 released.
- Import and automatic calibration of nautical charts for NOS/GEO (Softcharts) and BSB versions 1, 2, and 3 capabilities added.
- Import of driving directions as a GPS route from MapsOnUs.com website.
- Import of GPX files from websites like geocaching.com as GPS waypoints.
- Import of OziExplorer MAP georeferenced files for automatic map calibration.
- Import of Fugawi JPR georeferenced files for automatic calibration.
- Display of higher-quality images when zoomed-in closer than 1:1 on a raster map capability added.
- Display of USGS topographical map name showing current, or provided, location capability added.
- Display of the recorded date, time, and elevation of a clicked-on tracklog point capability added.
- Number of waypoints entered per route based only on the maximum amount allowed by the connected GPS receiver.
MacGPS Pro navigation software, version 4.1.1 released.
MacGPS Pro navigation software, versions 4.1.0 and 4.0.6 released.
- Added automatic calibration of Etopo Canadian topographical maps.
- Default waypoint names are supplied for quick waypoint entry.
- Large maps opened in the map window still maintain room on the edges of the screen.
MacGPS Pro navigation software, versions 4.0.5 and 4.0.4 released.
- Bug fixes.
- Supports Magellan GPS receivers for waypoint, route and tracklog transfer.
- Supports almost any GPS receiver with NMEA serial interface for moving map display.
- Supports wireless GPS receivers with Bluetooth technology.
Digital Map Library resource added to MacGPS Pro website.
MacGPS Pro navigation software, version 4.0.0 released.
- OS X native.
- High-speed map panning and zooming capability added.
MacGPS Pro navigation software, versions 1.0 through 2.8.4 released.
Prior to 1995:
MacGPS Pro navigation software was born, originally released in beta.